Tuesday 24 May 2011

Success, a sale at a time.

I have not been sat on my backside for the past month. Yes I have been getting my internet together, but there has been so much more going on as well.

The first thing to share with you is probably that I have been getting out there and pressing the flesh. Yep that's right the recluse artist has been going outside and meeting real people. A friend on facebook recommended a group called Memory Lane Fairs (Website here). I have now attended two of there craft fairs one on the 13th of May at the Head of steam pub in Liverpool. Photo's below;
As you can see I came fully prepared for plenty of sales. And I have to say that I got plenty of support from the Memory Lane guys and girls, with a fantastic spot right at the entrance. Unfortunately it was a very rainy evening and we were up against a lot of competition from the 'Light night' events happening around Liverpool.
As such I just about broke even, but the most important part was that I had already gained a tonne of 'in the field experience' as it were. I had never realised how difficult it can be to set up a table for a craft fair. The next event I attended was at fort perch rock in New Brighton on the 22nd of May. A lovely venue and this time with a table outside. The main lesson I picked up from my first event was that even though my art is cheap by 'original art' standards, not so cheap by craft fair standards. Sooo.... I took nothing that would cost over £20 and created some more pieces specifically targeted at the casual passer by. Photo's below;
This was a great event and I got a lot of feedback from the public. Again I only made a few sales but it's more about getting my face out there. By the time I attend more events I shall have some business cards printed up ready to give out and spread my name even further.

I will not be attending the next event on account of I will be joining the Collaberation Nation team at Upfest, which promises to be a total blast. (More inof on this in later posts, although I can announce that I may have managed to score a free place to stay for two of the nights I'll be down in Bristol).

The other part of my self motivation the last week has been to get my paintings up on the internet for sale. I've been looking at a few sites and I have to say that there are some promising ones out there that I really need to check out in greater depth. However for now I shall be sticking with those that I am sure of and have a consistent past record with namely Ebay and Etsy.

Over the past week I have listed nearly 100 new paintings on my Etsy store here. With prices ranging from as little as £3 (unframed A5 canvas sheet paintings) to an average price overall which is still under £20. There are many new paintings in there and I would suggest taking the time to look at individual listings as there is more than one colour scheme available for most paintings. Obviously this new canvases have been popular because already I have sold one item and I am looking forward to a possible sale tomorrow too.

Also this weekend Ebay had another 'free listing weekend', so taking advantage I have decided to sell some of the stock that has been languishing in my collection for a while. There is nothing wrong with these items, although with the LEGO ones I have been informed I cannot sell them through Etsy. But they have been overlooked in previous sales and promotions. And I would rather they get sold to a good home rather than end up as new 'blank' canvas. Yes I have started falling prey to the problem that has plagued artists for a long time, including even such greats as Da Vinci and Van Gogh, lack of materials. To the point where a lot of my earlier works are now irretrievably gone; Painted over. Which may yet be the fate of these potential future 'lost masterpieces' - So go bid now and pick up a potential piece of history and maybe a family heirloom to be.

I'll keep you updated on new offers, new products and also on Upfest shenanigans.
Till later Kiwi

No comments:

Post a Comment