Sunday, 12 February 2012

What I did on the rainy days.

Over the last few weeks it's been raining a lot. Which considering I can only paint with spraypaint outside, and I don't have a big enough shed to work in, can be a downside to working with stencils. Also all my stencils are card/paper based, ie. they don't like being wet at all. So here is what I did during that 'lovely' weather.

This is a 25cm by 30cm pre-stretched canvas. From top left to bottom right: Primed canvas with pencil outline. Base coat of acrylic paint. Dried base coat with acrylic paint pen details over the top (Posca and Montana brands). Finished painting with matt finishing coat (modge podge). I had great fun doing this one, the base coat was literally slapped on and around to create the flame/underground effect. The pen work over the top was a little more tricky but not so much as to distract from the joy of creating.

This is a 25cm by 30cm pre-stretched canvas. From left to right: Primed canvas with pencil outline. Base coat of acrylic paint with paint pent overlay, and a matt finishing coat (modge podge). This is my own take on the famous Shepard Fairey Barack Obama Hope poster.

This is a 25cm by 30cm pre-stretched canvas. From left to right: Primed canvas with pencil outline. Base coat of acrylic paint. Paint pent overlay,with acrylic highlights and a matt finishing coat (modge podge). Another one I had fun painting. For some reason despite my mathematical inclination it took me ages to work out how to draw the ice cube for this one. The base coat went down very easily, as did the following pen work on Wormy. I did however forget to take a photo of that stage and it's hard to see it under the flash on the final pic. The last stage was to paint over Wormy enough to give the appearance of ice without 'drowning him out'. I achieved this by watering down blue white and silver acrylic paints to watercolour consistency, slathering over the top and patting it dry halfway through the drying time. I am not ashamed to admit that I used my fingers to do this and it made me feel five again (and happy).

This is the final25cm by 30cm pre-stretched canvas. This was simply a time filler whilst I waited for the weather to dry up. Simple pop-art cliche featuring Wormy. Painted with acrylic paints and Montana paintpens finished with matt finishing coat (modge podge).

This I am hoping will be my big project for this year paint brush wise. It's a 30cm by 40cm prestretched canvas that's been primed and sketched on. And that is all so far for the simple reason I want to build up my confidence with the old paint brushes first. It has been pretty much a decade since I used them in earnest and I don't want to botch this one. The subject is the great lord Cthulhu in his rise from the sunken city of R'yleh. Really looking forward to painting this and making it very dark and creepy, not like the other paintings in this post at all. So that is what I did during the rainy season; All of this paintings will be listed on my Etsy store at a feature date once lighting conditions allows for better photographs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

No comments:

Post a Comment